Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Newest Creation: Vintage Tin Memo Board

I've had a stack of vintage tin trays forever. I've been meaning to do neat things with them. Finally, I took one and transformed it. But not too much. I decided to keep it simple on this one and make a magnetic memo board. I loved the design on this nautical themed tin, so I decided to go for it. Here's the end result:

I love the anchor detail on this. I had some cotton rope in my stash (originally picked up in the fabric notions section of walmart). Looks are a little deceiving on this one. I put a hole in each side of the tin using a nail and hammer. Then I used wire to make a little hanger to thread the rope through on the back. I covered the wire on the front of the tin with cute little rope knots. The knots are just hot glued on.

I took my fabric button kit like this one:and some blue and white ticking fabric I had and made buttons. Then I cut the back button part off and stuck them to magnets. Ta Da! Now I have a set of matching magnets. Here's the board at work:

So, what do you think? I love the way this turned out. I need to do this to more of my tin trays! There are a few that are plain silver that I'm thinking of painting with chalkboard paint in the middle. Wouldn't that be great?

Happy Crafting!

*Shared over at:
Do it Yourself Day at A Soft Place to Land



Show and Tell Green

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin