Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Quickie Project of the Week: Book Page Frame

I decided to make the project I finished on Sunday the quickie project of the week. It took me a little longer than the usual quickie (30 minutes). I spent about an hour on this project. But some of that was due to not being in a hurry (a.ka. watching t.v. while crafting) and drying time between coats.

We've all seen the book page wreaths (and if you haven't check out Living with Lindsay's tutorial). I found this paper mache frame at the thrift store and thought it would look great Mod Podged with book pages. I think this would work nice on any wide frame.

Supplies:
Frame of any kind
Old book (we are ripping pages here, so don't use a good one!)
Mod Podge
Acrylic Paint (optional)

Here's what I started with:
I used a foam brush to spread Mod Podge over a section of the frame. Then I took my book pages (already torn from the book and then torn in half) and started laying them on the frame. It may requires some smoothing out, depending on your frame. I also ripped some of the pages into smaller chunks and laid them on top for a more pieced look. Here's an in progress shot:


I also alternated the way I laid down the pages so the words were facing different directions to provide a bit more visual interest.

After I got the frame completely covered and let it dry a bit, I put another coat of Mod Podge over the whole thing and let it dry. When that was done, I decided it needed a bit of color. You might look at yours and decide it's perfect the way it is. That's why this next step is optional.
I took acrylic paint (barn red) and dry brushed it over the top of the frame (dry brushing is just taking most of the paint off the brush on a scrap before putting it on the actual piece). Here it is drying:
All Done!

This project turned out great! I might have to make more of these and do a display wall. This frame would look great with a picture in it or empty. In fact, a display wall of empty frames decorated like this would be fab!
Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I'm loving all the book inspired craft projects I've seen lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! that looks great! I see some book page frames in my future!!! Thanks for linking up to Whatever Goes Wednesday at Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin