Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Great Baby (Stuff) Making Tutorials

I didn't mean that title exactly as it sounds. Long before I had our little pumpkin, I started looking for tutorials on making crafts for babies. I ended up using quite a few and have quite a few more stored up and ready to make (as soon as I find and unpack my crafting supplies). I thought I would share some of my favorite ones.

Crib sheets seem like such a racket. They run anywhere from $7-$10 in the store (and that's for the cheap ones!) It's much less expensive to purchase 2 yards of fabric and sew them yourself. This tutorial from Made makes it so simple, even a novice sewer can make them! I made three different sheets from soft cotton flannel.


This next one is definately on my to do list: tights for the baby. I found a tutorial over on Made by Rae that I would love to try!


If you've been around the craft blog world at all, you've seen dozens of tutorials on how to make baby legs. This one from Everything your Momma Made & More seems fairly simple. This one is still on my to-do list.

Here's a great idea: using fabric to make "wallpaper" to decorate the baby's room. This is a good alternative to expensive vinyl graphics. Infarrantly Creative shows you how to do this here.

The best part? When you get tired of it, You just spray the wall lightly with water and it peels right off!

There are many different tutorials for customizing onesies out there. One of my favorites is this one from Not So Idle Hands. The reason I like this one so much is it uses a "cheat" to do screen printing. I've wanted to screen print for a really long time, but getting started is so expensive. This method uses inexpensive materials that every one can find.

There's also a tutorial for baby legs there.

One last tutorial: a rag quilt. I made one of these in my boy color scheme. Now of course, I didn't have a boy, but I will use as a gift for the next time I have to give a boy baby gift. Here's a good, easy to follow tutorial for one on Oopsey Daisy.There are of course, many more tutorials out there for making baby stuff. These are just a few that I've found and liked. Have any great baby (stuff) making tutorials? ;) Please share in the comments.

Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links! :) I've done freezer paper stencils, but haven't tried screen printing... guess I should one day!!

    I recently made two of the Itty Bitty Baby Dresses - also a Made by Rae tutorial - and they came out great! I don't know how big your lil' girl is now, but the bigger size is supposed to fit up to 11lbs. (http://www.made-by-rae.com/2008/04/free-itty-bitty-baby-dress-pattern.html) She also has a size 2-3 toddler version. You can see pix of the ones I made on my blog.

    I should probably make a blog post with all of the patterns/tutorials I have been finding lately. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great projects, thanks for the links! Also, thanks for entering the Little Miss Momma giveaway--good luck! Your blog is super cute! Now you got me thinking that I need to add some baby projects to my tutorials page...

    ashley
    http://littlemissmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for visiting my blog! You've been entered 2x, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin