Monday, June 28, 2010

Nursery Revealed!

Today is the day I am revealing the nursery. Be prepared for lots of pictures. If you have any questions about anything, please ask! I wanted to do a color scheme of yellow and gray. There are some hints of pink and green for contrast.

The walls were painted with Kilz in Castle. The stripe around the walls is Valspar, but I'm not sure the exact name of the color as it got painted over on the can. I cut the design out of stencil material with a cricut and stenciled over the yellow with leftover Castle.

Closeup of the wall detail:

Here's the view from the doorway. I recovered the rocker with new fabric, but otherwise left it as is (It still needs trim around the edges of the upholstery fabric, I haven't found anything that matches yet!) The rug is not part of the room scheme. I just threw something I had down to protect the floor until I find one (or make one) that I like.
Closeup of the rocker:

Here's the corner with the crib. The window art I made is hanging in this corner. The quilt I made from various yellow, gray and black fabrics I collected. I made the crib sheet as well. The skirt underneath the crib is a thrift store find. I bought two sets of large curains, valances and a bedspread made of yellow eyelet lace all for $2.50! One of the curtains fit perfectly just draped on the springs under the mattress. Easiest no sew project ever! The one thing I did not make was the bumper. That my Mom purchased for us.

This banner hangs on the wall above the crib. My mom made the pennants from scrapbook paper. Maddy's name is made from vinyl letters cut on the cricut. Mom used it for a decoration at the shower. I just glued each pennant on a yellow grossgrain ribbon and stretched it between two nails in the wall. I thought it added a nice pop of accent colors to the room.

This is the side of the room opposite the crib. My mom refinished the dresser and added bird and branch vinyl cutouts to each drawer. I purchased a changing pad for the top and sewed a cover using some leftover quilt fabric and some super soft fuzzy pink material I had in my stash. Next to the dresser is a cheap bookcase for storage. I'm using another thrift store find (a really big square scarf/shawl) to cover the ugliness for now. On top, sits the lamp I redid.


Above the changing station area, I used these cute drawer knobs I found in Michaels for a $1 each as a way to hang up more artwork. Each knob is slightly different. So far, I only have something on the middle knob. I've had this Creative Memories frame since we got married. I am planning on making a cute layout with some pics of all three of us, but haven't gotten that far yet.

My mom found this super cute owl night light at an auction. The outside was originally brown, but I just spraypainted it black. The moon lights up. How cute is that!

There are still a few more things I want to do in here yet. I have a large shelf I want to paint to put up in the corner above the rocker to put picture frames and knickknacks on. I want to find some kind of large toy chest for when she actually starts to play with toys that I can put in the bottom of the closet. And I think the closet needs another shelf.

Other than that, this has been a great project and I'm so happy with how everything turned out! It's a great room for Maddy to grow up in. Hopefully, I won't have to paint it again for quite awhile! I hope you enjoyed the tour! I will be bringing you some more crafting projects this week. I am planning on giving tours of more rooms in the new house as they get "finished." Next up will probably be the living room.

Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin