Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ask and You Shall Receive: Refinished Chest of Drawers

I had planned on doing this project for awhile now to put in my new office and finally decided to get it done last night while hubby was at softball. I noticed today that Kelly from Tearing up Houses left a comment on my last post to "show her the furniture" (okay that's not exactly what she said, but it's funny, right?) ;) So that's where the title of today's post comes from. But enough yapping and on to the refinishing!

I had this black chest of drawers that's really cute from Target's Global Bazaar line a few years ago. The finish on the top started chipping quite badly. The rest is in good shape, so I thought I'd just refinish the top somehow. Of course I forgot to take a picture before I started sanding, but this is what it looked like after sanding:

All those wood colored spots were what was chipping originally, so you get a pretty good idea of what it looked like. I thought I could try and paint the edges and then decoupage a 12 x 12 piece of black and white scrapbooking paper onto it. So I started painting with Apple Barrel Brand "Barn Red" and it looked like this:

Hmmm....the paint isn't really covering the wood spots where the finish chipped off very well. But, I decide to plow ahead anyway. I take a mustardy (yes, I think it should be a word) yellow paint (also Apple Barrel, but can't remember the exact color) and wet brush it over the red while it's still wet and I get this:

The effect would be perfect and exactly as I wanted...if those wood spots weren't there. So I decide I'm going to have to decoupage the whole top, but of course, the top is approximately 16 1/2 inches square, so one scrapbooking sheet isn't going to cut it. My office also has yellow in it, so I figure I'll do a border of mustard yellow paper and then put on my black and white piece in the middle. So, I start measuring and cutting the yellow and arrange it like so:

Hmm..this pic is a little blurry, but you get the idea. I used Mod Podge mixed with a little water and a foam brush to apply it. (Also, ignore the uneven edges, that part gets covered up anyway.) Next I put on the black and white paper:

Then I sealed it with two separate layers of the watery Mod Podge letting it dry between each layer. Finally, I sealed it with a layer of full strength Mod Podge and let it dry overnight. Then, today, I put it in my office:

This pic shows the wall color nicely, but the next one shows the cute leaf drawer pulls better:

Whew! My quick and easy project took me a lot longer than I planned, but then again it seems they always do! ;) I hope you enjoyed this post. Tomorrow for Funky Find Friday I actually plan on showing everyone some of my personal funky finds and what I did with them.

Happy Crafting!


  1. Erica!!! Great job, that looks terrific! Luv it.

  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    Check it out:

  3. It turned out great. Good job! I love it.

  4. Such beautiful colors! I love how it turned out.



Blog Widget by LinkWithin