Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Quickie Project of the Week: Reed Diffuser

First, I want to give you a quick heads up about two regular posts "Inspiration Tuesday" and "Funky Find Friday." I am still planning on doing these segements, but not every week. That being said, I am introducing a new weekly segment, "Quickie Project of the Week." This will be a once a week post that can come on any day of the week. It will highlight a quick and easy project you can do in half an hour or less.

This week's Quickie Project of the Week is a customized reed diffuser. These are all over the stores. You have a bottle of fragrance oil and put reeds in to draw the scent out into your room. These can run anywhere from $5 to much more in stores. But what if you have a pretty container you already like? You can pick your own container, your own scent, even different colored reeds if you want.
First, you need to find your supplies. I found a cute finger-tip vase at Walmart for $1. There were also numberous types of scented oils there in bottles for a couple of bucks a piece. I got a box of 10 replacement reeds at Target for a couple of bucks.
The supplies:


The reeds were really long for my container, so I cut them in half:

Then you just fill your container with a couple of inches of oil and put the reeds it. That's it! Now you have a reed diffuser that perfectly matches your decor and is filled with the scent of your choice!


The possibilities are endless! You can use any kind of water (or in this case oil!) tight container to do this. And for a few dollars, you can put a different one in every room of your house. It can be especially inexpensive if you use containers you already have. Plus, I only put 5 reeds cut in half in my container. That means I still have 5 short reeds and 5 long reeds left to use. I also have a lot of extra oil left to refill my container as needed.


I can't wait to make more of these for around the house. Plus, you could easily put together a bunch of these for gifts.

**Update: I was just at the Dollar General and even they have bottle of scented oil. All for $1 of course!***

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin